Tips on Packing
Published on 3/29/2021
List of tips on packing:
1. Be prepared. Gather all the materials and supplies you need before you start: boxes, tape, packing materials, markers, furniture covers and so on. Remember, Walton Security Storage sells everything you need.
2. Label, label, label. Mark every box with its contents, and keep a written inventory as you pack.
3. Use the right box. Use large boxes for light items (linens, pillows, lamps) and smaller boxes for heavier items (books, CDs, Dishes).
4. Take care. Pack small things carefully into boxes with appropriate packing materials.
5. Resist the temptation to toss things into a garbage bag; they risk damage from knocks or bumps and mildew from lack of ventilation.
6. This side up. If you combine different weights of items in one box, always put the heavier things on the bottom and mark the box “this side up.”
7. Don’t overload the box. Remember, you have to lift it and the box has to hold up during the move.
8. Large and extra large boxes should be used for pillows, blankets and light items.
9. Tape it up. Come on, tape is CHEAP.
10.Make sure all your boxes are securely sealed with packing tape, with the tops flat (to make it easier to stack).1. Be prepared. Gather all the materials and supplies you need before you start: boxes, tape, packing materials, markers, furniture covers and so on. Remember, Walton Security Storage sells everything you need.
11. Hang it up. Use a wardrobe box to hang clothing, draperies and other fabrics that need to breathe and be kept crease-free.
12. Break it down. Disassemble bed frames and lash them together with tape or twine.
13. Use small plastic bags to store screws and bolts and tape them to the frame that they belong to.
14. Respect breakable. Wrap dishes and glassware individually, and pad the box with packing paper or bubble wrap.
15. Keep the following items with you when you when you travel:
- A few children’s toys for the trip
16. Don’t pack the following:
- Important papers and personal records (wills, insurance policies)
- Flammable fluids such as lighter fluid or gasoline
- Chemicals including auto maintenance fluids
- Fireworks paints and paint thinner
17. DO NOT STORE
- Combustible objects such as oxygen bottles or propane tanks
- Gasoline and paint thinner
- Food unless it is canned or bottled. A bag of sugar in an invitation for insects.
- Paints. Paint ruins when frozed and unless you store it in a climate controled storage, the paint will freeze.